Graphic designers are experts in graphic design. Programmers know how to code. Marketers understand how to promote their organizations.
These skills are also known as “hard skills”—specific abilities that can be taught to employees and measured, such as math, reading, the ability to use software, etc.
Hard skills are important, which is why employers specifically look for them when hiring employees. But just as significant are the skills known as “soft skills,” or the personal attributes your employees need to succeed in the workplace.
Soft skills pertain to the ability to manage people, cultivate relationships, lead others and communicate ideas. And they can be the key to a successful company.
Here are seven essential soft skills to develop in your team:
- Teamwork and Leadership –This doesn’t just refer to playing nice when placed in a group, but also showing the qualities and temperament of someone who can lead others when necessary.
- Flexibility – Flexible employees are assets to your company. These are people who can adapt to any situation and deliver, no matter what challenge or task is on their plate.
- Communication – Communication skills are valuable no matter what industry you’re in. Communication skills don’t just refer to the ability to write well or speak in public effectively; it’s also the ability to teach others what you know and being a good listener.
- Problem Solving – The ability to solve problems and think on your feet is a skill all valuable employees will have, regardless of profession. This is especially important for leaders, who need to be able to lead teams in a storm.
- Ability to Take Feedback – Aside from being able to take feedback gracefully, it’s important for employees to know how to apply that feedback and help the team and company grow.
- Confidence – Confidence may not sound like a skill, but it’s something that can be learned and developed. Of course, you also need to help employees develop the knowledge and skills in which they can feel confident.
- Creative Thinking – Employees who are able to come up with unique ideas and solutions to problems are killer assets to the company. It drives innovation and improves efficiency.
Want qualified candidates delivered right to you? Contact the expert recruiters at The Reserves Network! Contact our offices to learn exactly how we can add value to your company.